In 1922 the University of Latvia founded the first botanical garden in Latvia. The Riga City Board provided a land almost one hectare size in the city gardening Dreiliņmuiža. In 1926 the government of Latvia bought a 10 hectare land from the heirs of Volfšmits in Kandavas Street 2 for the botanical garden. In this territory the establishment of the Botanical Garden was started, using the greenhouses, parks and ochards of previous owners. The aim of the garden is to store, document and research the local and foreign plant gene pool. The garden promotes a preservation of biological diversity and presents the plant life to society.